Thursday, July 10, 2008

I have found hope....



This story is published with Dipalis permission: She is one of the tea-mates that I havent had a photo of in the blog.

" My name is Dipali, I am 18 years old, I live with my mother, father and my grandmother. My parents married me off; when I was 12 years. After six months of our marriage, my husband run off with another wife. He Left me pregnant with our child. My son is now five years old and I love him very much. His name is Opurbo ( Wonderful).

Getting married early was one of the hardest things I went through, I didn't know how to take care of children, and when my husband left me for another woman at that age, I was devastated and went back to my fathers house. I have ever since been living with my parents and raising my son. Early marriages have alot of effects to young women, you cant continue with your education, you have responsibilities that you cant handle and there is alot of physical and psychological effects too.

I stopped my education when my parents married me off, but I thank God for TSA. They recruited me as a community mobilizer. I have also been back on my studies and just completing my exams.

I am enjoying my work and have found hope, that the past has gone and I can now confidently grow into the future. My vision is that early marriages will end, its a pain for young women, and I will advocate for that.

The Team that has been working in the community have given us hope and strength as young women. The process has built my confidence. I have enjoyed the fellwoship, relationships and the process, I see the path.... and I am motivated" Dipali..

No comments: